Foley’s Martial Arts was founded in 1978 by Michael’s father, Mike Foley Sr. Being a second generation martial artist allowed Michael to grow up immersed in combat sports. He holds a 6th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate, a brown belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and has an extensive background as a competitor and coach. His martial arts career has taken him to Brazil, Thailand, Greece, South Africa, the United States, and across Canada. In international competition, Michael has stood on the podium numerous times for Canada as a member of the national Kickboxing team and has held both the Canadian and Atlantic Canadian amateur Kickboxing title belts. His coaching credentials include certifications from Sport Canada and Kickboxing Canada. He co-founded Kickboxing Newfoundland & Labrador and acted as both president and vice president. In film and television, Michael has been a stunt-actor for over a decade. He has worked fight scenes and stunts for the productions Republic of Doyle, Hudson and Rex, Frontier, Little Dog, The Surrealtor, and Murdoch Mysteries. Michael holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland & Labrador with a major in English and a minor in Music.
Michael’s Favourite Competition Highlights:
- 1989 Bronze Kenpo ‘Top Ten’ Nationals, Montreal, QC.
- 1991 Gold Kenpo CBN Open, Carbonear, NL.
- 1996 Gold Kenpo St. John’s Open, St. John’s, NL.
- 1999 Bronze Ontario Open, Hamilton, ON.
- 2000 Gold WPKA Canada Cup, Burlington, ON.
- 2001 Gold WPKA World Championships, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2001 Double Gold KICKUSA International Martial Arts Festival, Orlando, FL, USA.
- 2002 Gold WKA Canadian Nationals, Ottawa, ON.
- 2005 Gold WKA Kickboxing, Buffalo, New York, USA.
- 2006 Gold CASK Kickboxing Night of Champions, Oakville, ON.
- 2007 CASK Atlantic Canadian Kickboxing title, St. John’s, NL.
- 2010 CASK Canadian Kickboxing title, St. John’s, NL.
- 2013 Silver IBJJF Montreal International Open, Montreal, QC.
- 2016 Gold NAGA US Open, Orlando, FL, USA.
Coaching, Officiating, and First Aid Certifications:
- NCCP level 2 nationally certified coach.
- CASK / WAKO level 1 nationally certified Kickboxing coach.
- CASK / WAKO level 2 nationally certified Kickboxing official.
- Heart & Stroke Foundation Heartsaver CPR/AED.
- St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid CPR-C & AED